Saturday, September 29, 2012

DIY: Laundry Bag

I may be the only woman with this problem but my boyfriend will RUIN my clothes. Of course it is not intentional, he really is trying to help, but the poor man only knows one way to wash clothes. Granted the majority of his clothes are shorts, boxers, and t-shirts but even his few nice shirts he just throws in with everything. Unfortunately, I have had to learn the hard way; some of my dresses have now become shirts and a few sweaters have made the ultimate sacrifice. I know even pointing out specifically what needs to be washed separately will not make a difference so instead of multiple fatalities in my closet, I have simply started making a separate pile for these specific clothing items. I have recently been investing in my closet, which means more items that I have to guard closely so I have decided to create a special "hamper" for them. Instead of going out and buying a basket that will just take up more space or a laundry bag that is too big and overpriced, I decided to make one on my own. Seriously took me 5 minutes!! I know we all have random pillow cases laying around so go grab one that you will not miss using along with:

a pair of scissors
medium sized yarn or cord
a safety pin


That's it!

Okay first, you will need to cut 4 holes roughly the size of a dime. The hole size is not crucial. You just need to be able to get your safety pin and yarn in. The holes should be located on the top part of your pillow case on the inner piece of fabric. Make sure that you don't cut through both layers. There will be a hole on each side of the seam, (they will mirror each other). [This picture was taken after the yarn had been threaded.]


Next, tie the loose end of your yard or cord to the closed safety pin. The bigger the safety pin the easier it will be to thread through.

Now we will thread the yarn. This is the hardest part. Stick your safety pin and yarn as far into the hole as you can. Then hold the safety pin and scrunch up the material. Once you have a few inches scrunched together, re-grab the safety pin and pull the scrunched material to the other side of the pin. Continue to do this all the way around the pillow case. Keep in mind that your pin will come out of one of the holes and you will have to move it across the seam into the next hole.


Once you have made a complete circle, untie the yarn from the safety pin and then cut the end attached to the ball of yarn at the desired length. I made mine longer so I could carry it easier if I wanted but if you want your bag to cinch automatically, cut the string so that both ends are barely showing out of the holes. Then tie a double-knot so it won't come undone. Now you can hang those delicates on a hook or shelf out of harm's reach a.k.a boyfriend's destructive but good intentioned actions =)


Yes, that is a pillow pet sitting on my shelf. No judging! His name is Pegasus and he is my travel buddy!


This bag can be used for anything! As long as you chose a pillow case with durable fabric you can put anything from clothes to toys to books in there! This project is kid friendly as well so kids can each make their own just for "their stuff."

Let me know how your project turns out! Any other requests? Just let me know in the comments below and I will be sure to help out!

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment